The BEST Lasagna Soup on the planet!!!

I cannot count how many times I have fed guests this soup. It is from "A Farmgirl's dabbles"- and I would provide a link, but I have no idea how I would do that;)

LASAGNA SOUP

 For the soup:
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs Italian Sausage (you know I used some hot sausage with the Italian)
1/2 of a chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (not necessary if you use some hot sausage)
2 Tab tomato paste
28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
6 c chicken stock
8 oz mafalda of fusilli pasta (I used some pasta from Target that looked like little mini lasagnas)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper
   Erin Add-ins:  I add some grated carrots to the sausage, onions and garlic
                          A few minutes before it is done I dump in half a box of frozen chopped spinach
                          I also LOVE to add some medium chunks of yellow squash and/or zucchini!!

For the cheesy yum mix:  the best part of this soup
8 oz ricotta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup grated mozzarella (or you can also top the soup with grated mozzarella)
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
(I also add about 1/4 cup of sour cream and a shake or two of Italian seasoning)

Heat oil in pan (I don't do this because my sausage has PLENTY of oil in it) add sausage breaking it up and browning it. Add onions, garlic and shredded carrots and cook until softened. Add spices and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well. Cook for 4 minutes until tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.

Add tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add pasta (spinach and squash if desired) and cook until pasta is done. DO NOT over cook or the pasta will become mushy. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir in fresh basil.

To serve, place dollop of cheesy yum in the bottom of each bowl and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.
We usually eat the soup with Nancy Allen's Bread Sticks- I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!






Comments

Popular Posts