The NO COOKING - all about Fun LUCKY St. Patricks Day Dinner

This is the story...a couple of years ago, I wanted to have a fun mom moment but couldn't think of anything fun to do for St. Patrick's Day (except for the obvious bike ride for a Shamrock Shake plan- the thing we always do) soooo, I called Linn to ask what she did with her kids for St. Patty's Day and she said hummmmm not much.

Then she remembered that a friend of hers did some kind of pick a food, dice game with her kids that they LOVED and we thought that would be a genius plan for a not so real holiday like March 17th.  Yep, my kids are not so little...YEP, they LOVE this yearly dinner!!

So here is the plan- If you are really ambitious and a creative mother you can make all of the food items for this meal- or you could do as I did and buy food items off the various dollar menus from the fast food establishments around town;)

I happen to have have 5 people living in our house at the moment, which means that I bought
5  main dish items
5 side dish items
5 drinks (none of them in cups with plastic lids you will be happy to hear)
AND
5 dessert items

I put each of these items into a brown paper lunch bag, folded over the top of the bag and stapled it shut.
With my favorite writing instrument EVER - a SHARPIE- 
I labeled the 5 main dishes M1, M2, M3, M4. M5
I labeled the 5 side dishes S1, S2, S3, S4, S5
I labeled the 5 drinks D1, D2, D3, D4, D5
and last but not least
I labeled the 5 dessert items (treats) T1, T2, T3, T4, T5


Then we got out the dice and took turns rolling for dinner- First everyone rolled the dice to see which of the main dishes they would eat, and then sides, drinks and finally treats. (If we rolled a 6, we just went again- if we had more people around the house we would roll 2 dice)  Oh, and the last few rollers may have to roll several times because there are only a few bags with numbers left and the last person to go (me) just gets what is left.

Then everyone takes their bags to the dinner table and tears them open to see what they will be eating for their LUCKY random dinner! Easy, FUN, cheap and FUN!

          

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you called that day, Erin, because a tradition was definitely born at our house!

    Here is our version of the game for anyone interested:

    http://linnorganized.blogspot.com/2013/03/good-luck-dinner.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited. I'm totally trying this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts