If at first you don't succeed...5 years later make Chimichangas

For myself, I need to keep track of what I make to feed mi familia so that I don't have to come up with new ideas every. single. time. Which means that I am not going to restart posting food making moments that worked for us as an easy menu making resource for me. If you are not me, HEllO!

Yesterday afternoon I was starvvving. As in I hadn't yet eaten at 3pm. Ohio is the frozen tundra this week but grocery shopping is a must so I finally made it to the store and I needed to cook something fast. Maybe because I was hungry, but this was beyond delicious!

CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS

I bought some rotisserie chicken breast meat in a small container from Kroger- deli section- but could easily cook a chicken breast or two.

Dumped 1/3rd of a can of Rotel in a frying pan over medium high heat, added chicken and taco seasoning. Cooked until warmed through.

One package of Trader Joes white or brown rice from the frozen food section- 3 minutes in a microwave. Squeeze the juice of one lime in a bowl, add 1 tsp white sugar and some chopped cilantro. Stir juice mixture into warm rice and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.

Heat up a can of Rosarita refried black beans in the microwave and sprinkle with salt- because thumbs up to sodium.

Grate cheese- cheddar, pepper jack, whatever makes your heart happy. 

Cook Tortilla land flour tortillas. (I wish these could be made with corn tortillas but I think they are too small)

Lay a tortillas flat. Smear middle with refried beans and top with rice and chicken and cheese.  Fold and keep closed with toothpick. Spray all sides of tortilla with cooking spray and then cook over Medium High heat until lightly browned on all sides.

Top with sour cream, guacamole, pico (diced tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil & salt) and most importantly sweet habanero sauce from Hot Head Burrito. (similar sold on amazon) It would be good to also throw on some lettuce but I didn't.  
Image result for chicken chimichanga
I ate this with Michigan cottage cheese (hands down the best fattiest cottage cheese on the planet!) and some fruit from the Kroger salad bar because not time for cutting up fruit when you are starving.

Comments

Popular Posts