Split pea soup

Like Erin, I have fallen in love with hot sausage in the last few months and spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out what meals I can make with it. I'm skipping on the whole eat meat "sparingly" for the time being, apparently.

And so today, I was craving split pea soup, because it is freezing where I live and I love split pea soup a whole lot. And it turned out so delicious (my kids were literally asking for seconds and thirds, it was a little crazy), I decided to share.

Sorry in advance for the very general recipe.

2 c. split peas
8 c. water
1 onion, chopped
salt
pepper
hot sausage or ham or something else equally as lovely

Combine all ingredients except meat (well, I actually put a little ham in with the peas, etc. just to give it a nice flavor, so you can go that route if you want). Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Pour into blender and blend until smooth. Pour back into pot to let set up and thicken for a while. Meanwhile, cook the hot sausage and only eat about half of it straight out of the pan. Add remaining sausage to soup that is thickening. Try to get a bowl or two yourself before your children lick the pot clean. Feel happy.

PS. I realized late last night I didn't list any other spices, because, well, I forgot. And I didn't really know their amounts. But I added onions and garlic to the hot sausage, as always, while it was cooking. And added some garlic salt to the soup. Nothing too fancy, but just a little something to give it a good flavor.
Image result for split pea soup

Comments

  1. Made this for dinner last night. LOVED the walk down memory lane:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts